Operating an aerial work platform (AWP) is a highly skilled job that is dangerous if not done properly. This course is designed to teach participants about safe AWP operation. Because every AWP and situation is different, this course also teaches participants how to handle surface conditions, stability, proper manipulation, positioning, and vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
A NL WHSCC Fall Protection Course (16 hrs)
The NL WHSCC Power Line Hazards Training (4 hrs)
Who Should Attend:
Persons who wish to or are required to operate an Aerial Work Platform.
Section 252(1) of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations states:
“A person shall not operate mobile equipment unless he or she has received adequate instruction and has demonstrated to a supervisor or instructor that he or she is a competent operator; he or she has been authorized to operate mobile equipment, and; he or she is familiar with the operating instructions for a particular equipment before he or she attempts to operate it.”
This course includes both Boom Lift and Scissor Lift.
Upon completion of this course, each participant will be able to:
- List the parts and controls of the AWP
- Explain how to perform a pre-use inspection
- Describe ways to ensure AWP stability
- Describe how to handle varying surface conditions
- Demonstrate how to lift and put down the platform
- Demonstrate how to position the platform when elevated
- Describe different hazards with regard to location, varying activities and environment
- Explain the fundamentals of safe AWP operation