This course has been designed by Workplace, Health, Safety and Compensation Commission (WHSCC) to provide participants with basic knowledge about electricity, electrical hazards, and safety measures when working in proximity to power lines. Additionally, the course reviews all appropriate legislative requirements and teaches participants the procedure to follow when equipment becomes charged with an electrical current.
Who Should Attend:
Power line hazards’ training is a legal requirement for operators of boom trucks, mobile cranes and other similar equipment.
Powerline hazards training
483. (NL OHS Regulations) A person shall not operate a mobile crane, boom truck or similar equipment that has the capacity of encroaching on a power line without having first completed a safety training program on power line hazards required by the commission.
Upon completion of “Power Line Hazards” each participant will have an awareness of:
- The importance of receiving power line hazards training
- Best practices to follow when working around power line hazards
- The way electricity works and how it relates to working around power lines
- How to protect one’s self from electricity
- Legislative requirements surrounding working around power lines
- What to do if the vehicle comes in contact with a power line
- Safety precautions surrounding working around power lines
Recertification: 3 Years