The Dexter Institute Advantage
Students receive classroom and hands-on instruction for work in the Heavy Civil Construction Industry.
All graduates are guaranteed an offer of employment with the Municipal Group of Companies.
Students of both programs:
- Complete eight weeks of classroom learning to gain an understanding of the heavy civil construction industry.
- Complete two weeks of a general, hands-on, introduction to heavy equipment operation.
Four-week specialized training:
- Students of the Heavy Equipment Operator Program will acquire over 250 hours of seat time operating equipment.
- Students of the Skilled Worker Program will receive advanced placement for job shadowing in one of the many fields in heavy civil construction.
- All students complete a fourteen-week* PAID work term with Dexter Construction. Graduates of both programs are guaranteed an offer of employment with the Municipal Group of Companies upon successful completion of the program.
*number of weeks may vary and are subject to change.
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Have a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Have an up-to-date resume
- Have two letters of reference
- Have a valid Class 5 driver’s license
Our next course intake starts in February 2021. The program runs through mid-September 2021.
There is no cost to apply; tuition for successful applicants is $8000* plus applicable taxes, and participants may be eligible for third-party financial assistance through Student Loans or EI assistance.
*subject to change