Employers, workers and occupational health and safety committees all play an important role in developing a strong workplace health and safety culture.
Employers play an important role in developing a strong workplace health and safety culture. Employers are required to communicate their commitment to health and safety to all workers, and develop and implement an OHS program. Workers must protect their own health and safety, as well as that of other workers and the employer. OHS committees support both employers and workers to ensure the safest workplace.
Committee members are not expected to be experts in all aspects of OHS. This course is intended to provide general knowledge, resources and tools to help you fulfill your role
8 hours (1 day)
Who Should Attend:
Employers, OHS Committee Members
Under the legislation, where 50 or more workers are employed at the workplace, all members of the OH&S Committee must be trained. Where 10 to 49 workers are employed at the workplace, the co-chairpersons of the OH&S Committee must be trained.
Prerequisites: OHS Committee, WHS Representative and Designate – Level 1
Purpose of Training:
The purpose of this training is to give committee members the knowledge they require to fulfill their duties and responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act and Regulations.
Committee members are responsible for:
• Monitoring OHS in the workplace
• Taking a proactive role, being good ambassadors, role models, and mentors of health and safety in the workplace
• Playing major roles in developing and sustaining a positive health and safety culture in the workplace in conjunction with workers and employers
• Promoting health and safety awareness in the workplace At times, situations may arise in the workplace that the committee may not know how to address.
1. Core OHS Concepts
2. Essentials of Committees
3. Hazard Recognition, Evaluation, and Control
4. Making it Effective Purpose of Train
Recertification: 3 Years
OHS committee recertification is required every three years from the date of initial certification. Recertification options will include online or in-class refresher training as prescribed by WorkplaceNL. A recertification course must be completed prior to the expiry of a certificate. In the event certification training expires the initial certification course must be completed in order to recertify. It is the responsibility of the certificate holder to register and participate in a recertification program.